Sarrah Crow is a lifelong animal lover and foodie. She dedicates her life to promoting safe and happy lives for animals by using only cruelty-free products, eating a vegan diet, and volunteering at an animal shelter. She can be found on twitter at (@SARRAHCROW) and on Instagram at (SARSAPARILLA.JANE).
Summer is just around the corner and for me that means one thing: finding every possible way to beat the heat.
From going for a swim to staying hydrated, there are many ways to survive this hot season. My personal favorite way is to stay in and eat some sweet ice cream. You can find vegan ice cream in most supermarkets, but they typically only have one or two flavors. These brands also aren’t always healthy either. So in order to stay cool and feed my sweet tooth the healthy way, I came up with my own strawberry ice cream recipe – no ice cream maker required!
I chose strawberry because it’s my favorite in everything from ice cream to muffins to just eating them whole. This recipe is so simple you can use your own favorite fruit and make it your own. I’m planning on trying apple and watermelon next. I totally encourage you to creative with it and experiment until you find a flavor you just can’t get enough of.
If you have an ice cream maker, you can just throw the mixture into it and let it do its thing. But as I do not have an ice cream maker even though I love ice cream (a little too much), I thought I couldn’t be the only one. This recipe will probably take you around 4-5 hours, so it’s best to start early if you want some the same day.
But most importantly, enjoy your awesomely sweet creation and stay cool!
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ cup pureed and strained strawberry juice
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, almond milk, coconut milk and cornstarch. Heat until bubbly and thickened. It will continue to thicken as it cools. Once cool, add the vanilla.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Combine with the strawberry juice.
- Place mixture in a stainless steel baking dish and freeze for 45 minutes. When it begins to freeze near the edges, remove from freezer and vigorously stir with a spatula (you may use a handheld mixer or blender to make it easier on your wrists). Return to the freezer and repeat this process every 30 minutes until frozen (about 2 to 3 hours).
- Store in a covered container in the freezer.
Enjoy and comment below to let us know what you think!